- Wed 09 Dec 6:00pm-6:30pm
- Sat 12 Dec 1:30pm-2pm
Graciously Elevated Bluestone Villa with Pool in Enchanting Surrounds (1345sqm approx.)
Best Offers By Monday 21st of December 2020 at 12:00pm.
Flanked by columns of bay and clipped hedges of Murraya and box, this majestically elevated bluestone residence is dappled by the iconic plane trees of this sought-after avenue. Undoubtedly one of the most picturesque double return veranda villas in St Peters, a renovation by award winning architect Dimitty Andersen has merged historic elegance with modern flair to form a gracious family home of immense charm and contemporary liveability.
The property is of great historic interest, having been built in 1882 for well-known colonial identity Louis Muller. In 1859, Muller was one of 3 stockmen included in explorer John McDouall Stuart’s 2nd expedition to the far north of South Australia in search of minerals. He then piloted cattle to the most distant runs in the colony. In later life he became the popular proprietor and builder of the iconic Maid and Magpie Hotel.
Original Victorian features have been retained and enhanced and include the original front wall, rendered piers, slate steps, wrap around veranda with intricate wrought iron balustrade, decorative plasterwork and marble mantles. No doubt Mr Muller would approve of his cellar, now restored and fitted with lighting, racking and a serving bar to form a wine connoisseur’s hub.
From the wide central hallway, 3 generous bedrooms include original marble fireplaces, custom joinery and plantation shutters. The master forms a luxurious haven with French doors opening to the elevated balcony overlooking the enchanting garden. The opulent designer ensuite is more like a living space, and boasts a marble fireplace, tub, and penny round blade wall concealing shower and WC. To the rear of the home, a contemporary wing incorporates two further bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, perfect for guests or teens.
The sumptuous lounge is a sophisticated retreat. Reflecting pendant lighting, a feature wall of silver-leaf emits a soft glow with instant gas fire and marble topped cabinetry beneath. Working from home will be a pleasure. Sliding doors conceal the private home office complete with calming garden views, built-in workstations and bookshelves to the ceiling.
The architectural extension is bathed in warmth and light from windows that frame the rear garden. The focal point for family and guests is the long island bench that intersects kitchen and meals incorporating café-vibe banquette. Sunken living is surrounded by glass, with north facing bi-fold doors opening to alfresco entertaining on the poolside deck.
The home takes full advantage of its glorious surrounds. Designed by renowned designer David Baptiste, the captivating and much admired garden compliments both period and modern elements. Symmetrical formal hedging and lawns lead to meandering paths, informal beds and shady nooks. A terraced rear lawn is edged by mature trees, pretty plantings, fruit, citrus, and raised herb and vegetable beds. The area is large enough to accommodate a tennis court if desired (STNCC). The sparkling solar heated pool and adjacent dining deck are nestled between the house and these tranquil surrounds.
FEATURES OF NOTE
• 1345sqm approx.
• 28.36 frontage approx.
• Coveted school zoning to Adelaide Botanic High School, Adelaide High School, East Adelaide Primary & Walkerville Primary.
• Walking distance to St Peters College. Minutes from Andrews School, Wilderness, PAC & other leading private schools
• Walk to Stephens Terrace shops & St Peters bakery. Close to Walkerville Terrace, The Avenues shops, Linear Park
• Minutes to Adelaide’s CBD
Architectural notes and improvements
• Built c.1882 for Louis Muller
• Architectural renovation and extension by Dimitty Andersen
• Original Victorian features include front wall, slate steps, rendered piers, return veranda, wrought iron balcony, open fireplaces with marble surrounds, polished boards, high decorative ceilings, sash windows, French doors
• Remote operated gate for off-street parking from Sixth Ave
• Sliding gate for undercover parking from rear lane
• Covered bike store
• Stainless work tops
• Smeg cooker, Asko dishwasher
• 3 bathrooms. 2 baths
• Ducted R/C airconditioning
• Open fires
• Heat & Glo instant gas fire
• Plantation shutters
• Alarm system
• Remote operated driveway gates
• 12.5 x 3m
• Magnesium mineral & solar heated
• Fully tiled, glass fence, LED lights
• Poolside deck for alfresco dining with BBQ gas connection & retractable awning
• Original landscape design by David Baptiste
• LED feature lights
• Formal hedging, informal beds, mature trees, lawn
• Raised vegetable beds, variety of citrus & fruit trees
• Automatic irrigation. Rainbird controller
• Rainwater tank plumbed to irrigation, pool & WC
• Garden shed, covered workshop
- Bedrooms: 5
- Bathrooms: 3
- Car spaces: 4